Friday, March 17, 2006

Glenda in the Gardenland of Oz


glenda in the gardenland of oz
We've had a warm winter overall this year. Crazy fall with the traumatized Katrina folks here and there in many apartment buildings. My good friend Jan adopted a whole apartment house full of the refugees and we contributed a truck full of household goods to help tide them over.

My older brother, a clinical psychologist, donated his Saturdays to give free counseling to all the people stuck in the convention center up in Dallas. People who lost everything they had.

My organic Texas garden is really prolific this early spring. I plucked enough swiss chard yesterday to cook up a mess of sweet greens.

(Notice the southern use of "mess" as a system of measurement which can range from a few generous handfuls to a potful.)

Also have three different kinds of lettuce, dark green and light and have already begun harvesting it. Got the tomatoes and jalapenos planted today. Sadly, will have to forego the cilantro, as it will be too warm soon for it to survive, which with the tomatoes and peppers, makes a great salsa garden. But as we just moved into this new home last summer, I anticipate a few years to hone the garden.

Gardenville is delivering 6 cubic yards of organic garden soil in the morning for my new "peace garden." It is round and will be split into 3 sections, hence the shape of a peace sign. Our soil is limestone and clay, and so we dug it all out to put in the good soil. Soil means everything in the growing.

(At this point, I space out and think about the kind of soil our children are growing in.....)

13 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger Michael said...

wow, you sound nice decent people who talk the talk and walk the walk. The world needs more like you

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Tinky/Caddy said...

Didn't know you grow jalapenos, you've got some sassy gardening going on around there =)

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Texas Social Worker said...

Love your stuff. I saw your article in the journal of Social Work Therapy on forensic determination of aggression indicators as pre-qualified in chi-omega testing of sibling rivalry. Good stuff..

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger glenda said...

Michael,
Thanks, guess we all need to do more and talk less. Glenda

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger glenda said...

tinky,
We are trying...what shakes up north?

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Maenad said...

Hey Glenda - so you're interested in the classics as well? I had a really bad experience with the Iliad a while ago ( it was a professor problem ), and yet I still find myself subtly drawn to it. It's the lure of the Greeks, I guess...

Also, I love the "peace garden," and must let you know of my admiration for your care of those who were shattered by Katrina. Good luck with the garden - everything tastes better hormone and pesticide free. :)

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I'm pretty sure you have some very good Karma coming your way. You've earned it.

I'm in Florida the land of "damn it's hot" and I grow cilantro outside and it gets full sun all day. The plant got banged up during Wilma but it came back with determination and is going full speed again. I too have grown jalapeƱos right beside the cilantro and these plants were surrounded by tomato plants. But you know what? I'm an idiot because I never thought to make salsa. Note to me, pick up tomato plants and jalapeƱo plants soon. And stop being an idiot.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Maenad said...

I took Latin my first year in college and fell in love with it. I wish it was mandatory in high school or even middle school, like it used to be. Nowadays the education that kids receive is complete crap (public-ed wise, anyway). You must be fluent in a few languages yourself.

I love shoes and have a really nice collection going, but barefoot is always the best, so I think you shoeless Texans have got quite a thing going, lol. You're a gardener: don't you love the feel of moist soil squelching between your toes?

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Elder Faery said...

Y'know. I have had a whole garage full of really nice stuff that could make life worth living in just a little way here and there. Top quality toys (we don't need more) clothes, shoes, cd's, books etc...but I live in a very affluent country..and I couldn't find any takers...it seems like such a shame...we have a surplus and no way of redistributing it..I'm gonna try and do a garage sale and send the proceeds over...but I still wish I could pass some of the actual creature comforts over. Sad about it actually..

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger glenda said...

If you have decent stuff you want to donate, but don't know what to do with it, many battered women's centers/shelters will accept donated items. Often women who are being abused will have to flee with their kids, leaving all their possessions behind. To find a battered women's shelter near you, contact, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-SAFE (799-7233) or just do a search on the internet.

 
At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! film editing classes

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home